Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chapter 83 Water World

In 1965 I bought a Lone Star fishing boat with a 7.5 hp outboard motor from our friend Dave Murphy so the boys and I could go fishing. We would leave before dawn and get up to Lake Lewisville about sunup. We had about five “honey holes” where we could catch a bass every time we threw a lure in. The boys handled the boat and I would pull the car and trailer out of the boat ramp and on to the parking area. With that team work we would be on the water and on our way in no time. Only one fish per hole however; we would make our rounds and I would get the boys back home in time to eat and get off to school. Charlotte would clean the fish and I would shower and get to work at Bell Telephone.

This was the year that Chip and I had a great escape. We spent two days canoeing down the Brazos River with his best friend Dale and his dad, Wayne. We headed to Glen Rose and spent the first night on the bank of the river. We entered the north end of Lake Whitney late in the afternoon of the second day. It was August and really hot down at the river level. We stopped frequently to take a swim and cool off.  At every stop I told the boys to wear their tennis shoes. Well, at one of those stops, I looked over at Chip and he was sitting on a big rock on a sand bar in the middle of the river, looking at the bottom of his bare foot. Of course, he had not put on his tennis shoes. The blood was gushing out because he had stepped on a broken bottle. Of course, we were far from any help or medical attention being one day down the river from civilization. 

Wayne and I applied pressure and wrapped a skivvy shirt tightly around his foot and the bleeding stopped. No more swimming for Chip. The next day when we entered the north side of the lake, the wind was blowing from the South and we had to cross the lake from East to West to meet Charlotte who was waiting for us at Morgan Point on the West side. We had to paddle like the dickens. If I stopped paddling-even one stroke-the bow of the canoe would swing to the north. Chip and I kept at it for about an hour and finally reached the dock at Morgan Point. We were both exhausted.

We all had an itch to have a place on a lake and frequently took our travel trailer to first one lake and then another for weekend family camp-outs  I had gotten an offer from Micky Mantle for lots he was developing on Cedar Creek Lake. I bought one and the next weekend we decided to go to Cedar Creek for a camp-out. I parked on the lot I had bought but it was Charlotte’s birthday and I thought it would be a nice surprise. Charlotte did not know I had purchased the lot. I had let the kids in on the surprise, and they were enjoying being in on the secret. I suggested we spend the night on the lot rather than going to a public campsite. 
Charlotte said it was a beautiful site but we must not camp on someone else’s lot. We built a campfire anyway and as we all gathered around it I asked Charlotte what she thought of the lot. She loved it and that was when the kids sprang it on her, "I"ts yours!” “Happy Birthday!” We all enjoyed the rest of the evening around the campfire on our lot. We later bought several other lots at Cedar Creek and also at Lake Cyprus Springs in East Texas but never did build on any of them. We did ultimately buy a home on Texoma that we enjoyed very much.

Photo of Lake Lewisville found here
Photo of Brazos River found here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment