Monday, November 21, 2011

Chapter 47 Close Encounters

In 1948 I had another opportunity to indulge my love of flying when I was able to use my GI Bill to pick up lessons again. This was the first time I had been in the air since I first flew in 1939. I was flying off a grass runway at a little airfield on the north side of Austin.

I soloed pretty quick and started flying solo cross-country. One hot August afternoon I flew down to New Braunfels, landed there, had a cold Coke, then took off for Temple. New Braunfels also had a grass landing strip right next to the Austin-San Antonio highway. Well I enjoyed the flight to Temple , enjoying the scenery and a robin’s egg blue sky with white puffy clouds. I prided myself on my smooth landings and approached the Temple airport with confidence. I could see four or five “hanger flyers” sitting in front of the office. I thought, “I am going to really show those guys how to grease clip_image002this plane in and touch down like a feather. “

Well, I came in perfect and flared out to touch down-only the darn plane kept floating! I pulled back on the stick until it was against my belt. I continued to float, trying to figure what the deuce was going on. I kept pulling back on that stick to force the plane down and I finally did a perfect three-point landing-except I was still about ten feet in the air. I banged down on the PAVED runway with quite a jolt. The landing gear complained as it absorbed a real smash into the ground, but it did survive. I had never landed on pavement before and the heat radiating off that runway gave the little plane a lot of unexpected lift.

I didn't want to face those guys who were watching me but they were sitting right next to the gas pump and I was too low on gas to fly back to Austin. I taxied up to the pump, shut the engineTemple airport built in 1942 down and crawled out. I had positioned the plane so it was between the audience and me but to no avail. Three of them came over grinning from ear to ear and said, “First time on pavement?” They were good sports though. One helped me gas and the other spun the prop when I was ready to leave. We did not have self-starters then and had to prime the prop and then spin it to start the engine. I flew back to Austin absorbing a big dose of humility.

Another evening I was returning solo to Austin just before dark. We all had a mandatory procedure for landing. You entered the pattern on a downwind leg that was parallel to the runway, going the opposite way you were going to land. At a point opposite where you were going to touch down you cut the power. You then would turn on to the base leg then you turned again on to the final approach.  At that point you advanced power to clear the engine and touched down opposite the point you had cut power on the downwind leg.

I came in that evening and followed the above procedure even though there were no other planes in sight. As I cleared the engine on final approach, I looked up through the windshield that continued up over my head and almost fainted. Just about a foot above my plane was the wheel of another plane on final approach. This other pilot had not followed procedure and came straight in to final. He almost landed on me. I dropped down and went into a 360-degree circle and came in behind him. He taxied over to the gas pumps and I almost had my plane with its tail up racing over to the pumps. I jumped out cussing this guy and I grabbed him by the shirt, He was apologizing and saying he was so sorry. He was a Chinese guy and I had trouble understanding him, I finally cooled off but I don't think he or I will ever forget our close call.

Photo of Temple Airport found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment